Junior Rookie offers a bridge between tee ball and rookie baseball/8U softball. This program is also a co-ed baseball program to help teach our younger players the basic rules of the game. This league is open to all six-year-old boys and girls. Junior Rookie is structured in the following manner:
- Practices begin in mid-March and games begin in mid-April
- Teams play two games per week – one weeknight, one Saturday game
- Teams receive an expanded14-game-schedule with a no-make-up policy on rainouts
- Teams participate in a double-elimination tournament in mid-June
- Games are scheduled for six innings or 1 hour 30 minutes, whichever comes first
- Players receive four pitches and, if not successful, then allowed two swings to hit ball cleanly off tee — if not successful, then player strikes out
- Fair play rule during regular season – every player must play in the infield and the outfield one inning in every game
- Teams play “outs”
- Teams use regular hard baseball
- Coach pitching is done within an 8’ radius starting at 40’ and basepaths are 60’ long.
- Other Junior Rookie league game-specific rules are available at link
- OYO provides hat, socks, and team jersey. Players are responsible for pants, cleats, and their own baseball glove. Additional equipment (e.g. helmets, bats, etc.) is optional for players to provide as the team equipment bag will contain these items.
To learn more about Junior Rookie, contact Erin Worden.